Question:Consider the following statements.
1. A total fertility rate of about 2.1 children per woman is called replacement-level fertility.
2. Replacement-Level Fertility means a population is falling.
Which of the above statements is/are true?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 Nor 2
• Replacement-Level Fertility, which means a population that is stable, neither rising nor falling.
• The ministry of health has identified seven states–Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh–with high TFR. These states are home to 534.8 million people, or 44.2% of India’s population, according to 2011 Census data. Within these states, 145 districts have been selected for action to reduce TFR to 2.1 by 2025 while the India average of 2.1 will, according to the government, be achieved by the end of 2017.
• In a bid to keep a check on the increasing population in the country, The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched two new contraceptives- Antara and Chhaya.
• They have been launched in 10 states under Mission ParivarVikas, a central family planning initiative.
• These 10 states of Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Haryana, West Bengal, Odisha, Delhi and Goa.