Question:Which of these is/are true?.
1. The electrical appliances of our houses are all connected in a parallel circuit.
2. Only in a parallel circuit current flows through each appliance separately and hence even if we switch off any of the appliance, the others will continue to work.
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) 2 is the correct reason of 1
(d) 2 is not the correct reason of 1
Question:Consider the following statements:
1. An object with zero resistance would conduct electricity perfectly.
2. It is possible to float a small animal like a frog inside a magnetic field.
Which of these statements is/are correct?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 Nor 2
Superconductors are considered to be perfect diamagnets. A diamagnet is a material that shows repulsive magnetic effects when it is put inside a magnetic field. Or in other words, if you put a diamagnet near a regular magnet, it will be pushed away (or repulsed) from it. All materials are at least somewhat diamagnetic. For this reason it is possible to float a small animal like a frog inside a magnetic field. This is called diamagnetic levitation. But superconductors are even more diamagnetic, so you can use them to levitate things more easily.
Maglev (Magnetic Levitation) trains are high speed trains that function on the principle of electromagnetism--attraction and repulsion. Attraction drives the train forward while repulsion between the train and tracks results in "floating"; reduces friction and increases speed.
In an optical fibre or light pipe light ray enters one end of a transparent rod or fibre and is totally reflected many times, bouncing from side to side until it reaches the other end. Optical fibres have many uses including data transmission, an alternative to sending electrical signals along conducting cables. The advantage of optical fibres here is that the capacity of the medium to carry information is vastly greater. Many different signals can be sent along the same fibre; in more technical terms, optical fibres have large bandwidths.
In the retina are two kinds of sensors: rods and cones. The cones function at high levels of illumination and mediate colour vision which is called photopic vision. The rods function at low levels of illumination when the eye has become dark-adapted and do not give the sensation of colour, a process called is scotopic vision.
Question:Which of the following work on the principle of Electromagnetic Induction?
II. Induction Coil
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 2 and 3
(c) Only 3
(d) 1 and 3
• A. C. Dynamo also work on Electromagnetic Induction.
• When an induced current is produced because of voltage production (electromotive force) due to a changing magnetic field, it is called Electromagnetic Induction. This either happens when a conductor is placed in a moving magnetic field (when using ac power source) or when a conductor is constantly moving in a stationary magnetic field. This phenomenon was discovered by Michael Faraday.
Question:Consider the following statements.
1. Gravitational waves spread at the speed of light.
2. Most violent processes in the universe such as black hole or neutron star mergers that can be detected with light.
Which of the above statements is/are true?.
Bile is a digestive juice that is secreted by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. It has two important functions :
Assists with fat digestion and absorption in the gut.
Is a means for the body to excrete waste products from the blood.
Bile does not contain enzymes like other secretions from the gastrointestinal tract. Instead it has bile salts (acids) which can :
Emulsify fats and break it down into small particles. This is a detergent-like action of bile.
Helps the body absorb the breakdown products of fat in the gut. Bile salts bind with lipids to form micelles. This is then absorbed through the intestinal mucosa.
The other important function of bile is that it contains waste products from hemoglobin break down. This is known as bilirubin and is normally formed by the body as it gets rid of old red blood cells which are rich in hemoglobin. Bile also carries excess cholesterol out of the body and ‘dumps’ it into the gastrointestinal tract where it can be passed out with other waste matter.
Question:It is the site of the complete digestion of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.